Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Tribal Bra


Tribal Bra II
Originally uploaded by DragonFly24.
The bra (I should give her a name...) has two mitered panels that I knit to fit. I used two coin chokers and a necklace, plus some really groovy buttons I found at JoAnns. I added ribbon to the ties (glued those on with some really amazing fabric glue) and finished it off in the back with more big buttons. It criss-crosses twice in the back, making a very nice finished look on my broad back. I had to cut the straps off, then split the two sides to form 4 connection points. I used key rings for the loops. I used cotton webbing straps for the straps. I sewed them on at a slight angle. Everything you see is hand sewn except for the straps in the back. (I highly recommend hand quilting thread if you attempt this. It is stiffer thread and it has a finish on it that allows it to slide through many layers of fabric.)

I borrowed the cross back design from pictures on Tribe.net. There is one photo that has complete instructions along with lots of helpful comments.

http://tribalcostuming.tribe.net/photos/f74623ef-751d-49f8-89ca-7df1473b7639

D-rings didn't work for me because I need too much support for them not to be pulled by the straps and get flipped around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! I take classes with Palika/Heavy Hips in Santa Cruz...and I knit, too!

Dance on!

DragonFly24 said...

Thanks! :)

I'm jealous you are with Palika [g]! Very cool re: the knitting. What are you into with the yarn?

I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with my lovely triumvirate of tribal-goddesses we have here in Austin ;). The Third Coast is a bit behind in the Tribal movement.

Again, thanks for stopping by!

Knit on...

Andrea.

Joan McMillan said...

Ah, knitting...lately I have been working on a shrug, due to "full sweater fear." This is the "Ariadne Shrug" from the Knitting Goddess book, and I am using some wonderful Noro Iro for the colorwork. 'Tis fun and suits me, though my daughter says it is "loud." Oh, well.

Yes, I feel grateful to be studying with Palika. She is a wonderful presence and a fantastic teacher.

dance with joy and knit on!

DragonFly24 said...

I *love* that shrug! I love that whole book. I did the Isis Stole. Yum!

Loud is good. Noro rocks! :) I understand "full sweater fear" and I don't have to get past it because I live in Austin TX where there are only two seasons... Summer and February. ;)

Please give my best to Palika for me. I enjoy her energy from afar. [g]

Blessed Be!

Andrea.