Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My Second Life-Hera Is Dying

My Aunt Caroline

Is

Dying.

Hospice has been called. They are probably there right now. Caroline has cancer. Cancer has Caroline. She has decided enough is enough. Her body has done everything it can to kick the cancer out. She's been fighting it for about 5 years now.

They say she has weeks to live.

She's not eating or drinking. She's just on an I.V. drip. She walked 6 blocks yesterday. She has the Hoverers (her community friends) to keep her spirit up.

My uncle is bringing a big computer over to finish up the cookbook they were working on. It documents all of the recipes my grandmother made over the decades. (My grandmother is still alive. Caroline will be the second adult child she will bury.)

What will I do without My Caroline on this earth? How will I go on? Why does it have to be this way? She's only 56 years old.

She can't drink anything because it will bloat her. She can't eat anything because it just comes back up. The antibiotics they have her on are so strong, they are making her sick. But if she doesn't take the antibiotics, she will die from infection.

She says she's tired. She's tired of it all. She's in pain.

I do not want to go on without her. I am selfish. But go on I will. Grama's going on. Dad's going on. I will go on. And that's what she wants.

Her cancer has been a gift to our family. It has brought us so much closer. And the truths that have come out have cleared the air a lot. People are healthier due to her cancer. Is that not ironic?

I will go to see her soon. Before she crosses over. I will tell her I will miss her and her sweet melody. I will carry her song in my heart and pass it on. I will be sad. I am sad.

And then, when she is gone from this earthly venture, I will go back again and celebrate her life with my family. We will have a wake for her. And we will party in her memory. We will tell stories, sing songs, and be silly.

Because Caroline wants it that way. And so do I.

Tiger Tiger Burning Bright...

I love you Caroline.

I will honor your memory on each Samhain. You will take a spot of honor next to Aunt Sophia. Kith and Kin. In Spirit.

Go In Power & Go In Peace.

Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again...

Blessed Be.

1 comment:

peevish said...

She sounds wonderful. I'm glad that you have had her in your life, and I'm sorry you must now lose her. Isn't it strange how such a loss can bring such a gain, in greater closeness & appreciation of each other & life's random blessings? Thanks for sharing, as they say.