Saturday, April 15, 2006

Seder / Passover Experience


Good friends of ours invited us to share their Passover ritual and dinner last night and it was a very positive experience. They used a very liberal Haggadah. There were at least 2 pagan families in attendence and we didn't feel in the least uncomfortable or outsiderish.

We looked up Passover on Wikipeidia, which was very educational and helpful. We learned about the special plate and what the matzah has to do with it all. Here's the link if you are interested:

Wikipeidia's Passover Page

All that said and done, I managed to dislocate my shoulder while I was passing one of the plates of food. Apparently, I misunderstood and thought it was all about passing out from the pain. LOL My day has been pretty fraught with shoulder distress, but John says I'm being pretty stoic about it. He keeps forgetting I did it. I can tell you I haven't forgotten. I slept terribly last night and I don't think it had to do with the 3 glasses of wine I had, if you know what I mean.

We had a great time laughing and talking after the supper. I roasted some very choice coffee with a little raw chocolate thrown in for the flavah! We wound up talking about alternate experiences and, of course, school life. The other guests were people who worked with our friends at St. Andrews and/or their children go to Austin Montessori. Mara made a new friend who coincidentally lives very close to us! She's an only too and Pagan, so sounds like we may have found some summer buds!

Her new friend's daddy is a massage therapist and he has a studio in his home, so it looks like we may have also found a massage therapist for me (and my shoulder) and John (and his anxiety).

It also turns out that her mom lived in Terlingua for a year and worked at The Cave (an underground pub that Dad and I tried to visit when we were at Big Bend... they were closed). Small world.

Picture from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover

No comments: