Tuesday, April 04, 2006

My Trip to Big Bend with My Dad (in about 500 words ;)


Santa Elena Canyon
Photo Credit: Tom Furuya
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/photogallery/river/river008.htm


Dad and I had a *marvelous* time :). I mean, MARVELOUS. I can't even begin to tell you all of the stories and things we did. I'll give it the good ol' college try...

It was a trip to remember. We did a canoe trip down *the* Big Bend in Marsical Canyon. We took pictures in Santa Elena Canyon. We did a 5 mile hike up to 6850 ft. elevation to the tippy top of Lost Mine Ridge. We ate really bad food for lots of cash at the lodge's restaurant until we found the award winning Starlite Theater Café in Terlingua (Ghost Town), TX. Lentils and tofu on rice... Veggie burger... Veggie tacos... Shade grown, organic, free trade coffee... And pie to die for! The locals were straight out of Northern Exposure. The bathrooms were the old town jailhouse. There was even a golf course (which was hysterical, let me tell you). The tequila was fine and we found a yummy liquor made out of Damiana. YUM!

We really enjoyed each other's company and re-discovered we're great friends as well as family. The canoe trip really pulled us together as a team. We dumped ourselves in the first 5 minutes. Dad thought it was all me because I was paddling like the newbie mad person I was, but it turns out, the guide was watching and told Dad he might want to steer next time ;). LOL! We had a fine time after that! I got a strawberry on my knee and everything.

When it was quiet water, I played around with the paddle to see what I could do with it. Sometimes, I turned the boat completely around! LOL! We decided that as long as we were going the right way regardless of which way our butts were pointed and we were dry, it was all good. ;) When we heard the water getting busy, I'd say "Looks like we have another opportunity for problem solving, Dad!"

Dad wants to come back down and rent a canoe for the day to go on the Guadalupe and practice some more. Hmmm... I wonder why?

We ate lunch in Mexico twice on our canoe trip. We enjoyed the hot springs and looked at some amazing stars. I lost my glasses magically and we couldn't turn around to find them because it was way past dark, new moon and we were right next to Mexico -- I figure it was a sign that I need to see my life in a new way.

The pixies kept playing tricks on us by stealing things then putting them back over and over. We both thought that was rather funny as well. Dad lost his wallet right after I lost my glasses and I told him I hoped they returned his wallet instead of my glasses if that's the way it had to be. Glasses are easier to replace. And they heard me :). Whew!

So, some grandmother in Mexico is enjoying my glasses right about now, I suspect. I hope her life is much enriched. I have an old pair on my nose right now and an appointment tomorrow with the eye doc, so it's all good.

We took loads of pictures of flowers and rock formations. I can't wait to see them after they are developed! Dad took the film to his photographer friend, so we shall see. I hope we captured a couple of good ones for them to hang on the wall :).

The weather was marvelous (almost too hot, really) for our plans and adventures. Dad is determined in a big way that we are going to do it again next year. Woo hoo! I am ready. How about next week?

2 comments:

spicey pineapple said...

sounds like so much fun, i love having adventures with good company, i remeber the time my dad and i went fishing, so long ago i loved it

peevish said...

Hi An, I just read your profile and we should talk about coffee sometime. At home, for my first cup, I'm embarrased to admit I have to have Italian espresso. No, we don't have some $2000 machine. We have a $30.00 Bialetti stovetop Espresso Moka but the key is using Italian coffee made with a blend of Arabica & Robusta beans. The Robusta is what makes Italian coffee so smooth and not bitter, while still being strong. Then I warm a some milk and use a hand-operated milk frother so I can have cappucini. It is so worth the extra few minutes. Anyway, here I am proving, once again, that I'm a freakin' geek!